We have a reputation for aggressively representing individuals facing misdemeanor or felony charges. Our ability to analyze and evaluate cases, prepare strong defenses and obtain favorable outcomes is well known. Do not settle for a guilty plea; being charged and convicted of a crime can lead to job loss, a criminal record and jail time.
If you or someone you know has been accused, charged, or arrested for a crime and need honest, practical legal advice from a reliable criminal defense attorney, Contact Us to discuss your options. Your initial consultation is FREE!
Experienced DUI lawyers know which arguments work and which ones don’t. If your DUI attorney can get your charge reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor, it is considered a major win. In fact, he may be able to get your case dismissed, which is the ultimate goal.
If you have any questions or would like to speak directly with an experienced DUI attorney regarding your charge of driving under the influence, Contact Us. Your initial consultation is FREE!
Drunk Driving in Tennessee is called DUI (Driving Under the Influence). In other states you’ve heard it referred to as DWI (Driving While Impaired or Driving While Intoxicated). The mandatory minimum punishments for Tennessee DUI convictions are set forth in Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-10-403:
1st Offense DUI:
- Revocation of Driver License for 1 year (may be eligible for restricted license)
- Minimum 48 hours in jail (for arrests occurring after July 1, 2008)
- 7 days in jail if your BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) was .20% or above
- $350 fine
- Probation for up to 11 months and 29 days following jail release
- Alcohol Safety School
- Possible 24 hours or more of trash-pickup or community service
2nd Offense DUI:
- 45 days in jail, followed by 11 months and 29 days probation;
- Revocation of Driver License for 2 years (may be eligible for restricted license after 1 year);
- $600 fine.
3rd Offense DUI:
- 120 days in jail, followed by 11 months 29 days probation;
- $1100 fine;
- Revocation of Driver License for 3 years.
4th (or more) DUI Offense:
- Felony DUI, punishments are different, possible prison time.
- Additional possible consequences for ALL DUI offenses that aren’t part of the mandatory “punishments”
- Additional drug and/or alcohol treatment
- Random drug screens
- Insurance rates skyrocket, mandatory filing of SR-22
- Payment of court costs
- Installment of Ignition Interlock System on your car
- Attachment to your ankle of the “SCRAM” device to prevent you from drinking